Sunday, December 14, 2008

Figuring out gadgets is half the fun

I can not help it - I like gadgets. Not using it, but figuring out how they actually work. Take these Chinese gadgets for instance. With most of them I have decided that it is better to first try and figure out how to use them through trial and error than to use the Engrisch instructions. At the crucial moment, at the last step, just before it can actually be used, something is lost in the translation. By that time I am so excited to get the thing to work and then the utter frustration of not knowing what to do next. Maybe it is not frustration but a sense of excitement because I now have free reign to figure out the damn gadget until it works. So these days I first try and figure out the gadget before reading the instructions and should I read the instructions first, it disappoints me if they actually work as figuring out gadgets is half the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment