Sunday, April 5, 2009

Boeremark

I have only recently discovered the Boeremark at the Pioneer’s museum in Pretoria. This place is soo authentic and nice with its Boeremusiek in the background. It takes me back to when I was a little boy when I visited my Oupa on his farm during my holidays and we went to the Indian trading store to stock up. Be there early though as farmers like to get up early and take their naps early as it wraps at 09h00.

The first time I visited was like discovering a pot of gold. It spoke to my inner being and reminded me of my roots. Here was an open air store in the traditions of the past where you can actually buy things fresh from the field. In the background traditional Boeremusic was playing and everywhere I walked the smell of food made my mouth water. I did not buy much that day as I was checking it out but I knew I would be back often after that.

Although I saw that the market starts rather early I though it would at least carry on until 12h00 every Saturday. This was not so and ruined my second visit to the market when I took my family there to brag with my new discovery. As it goes with good city dwellers and mall rats we got there at about 09h30. And to my surprise everyone had left already. Be warned the market really shuts down at 09h00.

Our third visit was more successful as my family believed me about being there early. We were in time this time around - albeit not very early. We bought the nicest cheese, plants and restored picture frames that day and my family was hooked.

We have since visited the market a few times and have enjoyed every visit thoroughly. And each time we have visited we discovered something else that tickled our fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment